Friday, April 3, 2015

The Promise of Rain

Uganda has two basic seasons... Wet and dry.  We have been in the dry season since December. According to people who have been in this area for a long time this has been the " longest, hottest and driest " dry season they can remember. 

The other day I was traveling out to GSF and thinking about  how dry and weary the land looks. 



Have you ever felt like this sugar cane looks? 

Dry emotionally and spiritually...

Dusty with the dirt if this world...

Bent under the weight of the cares of navigating this life...

Burdened for those you know are struggling through various trials...



As we draw near to the rainy season the sky has given me hope that this difficult dry season will come to an end, relief is on its way.


The dry land and crops here reminded me of when I was growing up in NC.  My home town was more rural and less city. We were surrounded by tobacco farmers.  They would often have to irrigate their crops with water from ponds on the farm. I noticed it never seemed to nourish the crops like one good rain did.  

Do you seek nourishment for your dry and hungry soul in this world by filling it with all the things this world says will satisfy and find that nothing satisfies?   

Jeremiah 2:13 says
My people have committed two sins:
They have forsaken me, the spring of living water, and have dug their own cisterns, broken cisterns that cannot hold water. 

In John 4, Jesus is speaking with the Samaritan woman at the well.  During her life she had been trying to satisfy a thirst in worldly ways that only the living God could quench.  Jesus says to her in verses 13&14...
"Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life."

I encourage you to seek nourishment for your soul in Jesus the Christ not in this world. 

Jesus said in John 6:35
I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty. 

During the several days it has taken to write this post the rains have returned. In a short span of time this dry and weary land is vibrant again, the leaves washed clean,  life is bursting forth and it is blessedly cool.  The land has been eagerly awaiting the life giving water.



If you do not know Christ as your Savior  I encourage you to give yourself over to Christ and let Him fill you with his living water.  
1 Timothy 2:3-6
This is good, and pleases God our Savior,  who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all people.  This has now been witnessed to at the proper time. 


If you know Christ as your savior, but have allowed your soul to become dry and weary, I encourage you to return to your first love. 

Psalm 63: 1-5
You, God, are my God, earnestly I seek you; I thirst for you, my whole being longs for you, in a dry and parched land where there is no water. 
I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory. 
Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you. 
I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands. 
I will be fully satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you. 

I love you Jesus!  You are my Lord and Savior.  
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment